Saturday, August 27, 2011

Twelfth-century tollbooth building discovered in Scotland

Pioneering low altitude, hi-resolution vertical aerial photography has just been used to record what is believed to be the earliest upstanding architectural fabric of a Scottish municipal building.

Uncovered as part of a Fife Council project to regenerate Market Street in St Andrews, the fragmentary remains reveal the site and layout of Scotland’s first tollbooth.

Built some time around 1140 as the headquarters of the town’s council, the tollbooth or praetorium was the office from which the provost and baillies organised the running of the newly-created burgh.

Click here to read this article from